Tempted to BUY!

Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways.
Establish Your word to Your servant,
As that which produces reverence for You.
Psalm 119:37-38

A Saturday afternoon, a million errands to get done, and 90 degree weather already had me in a mood. So it's no surprise that as we entered the jam packed parking lot and made our way to the crowded entrance of Costco, I was still not too impressed by this one-stop shop. Because the millions of people and crowded aisles weren't enough to set me off, I began to become annoyed by the people at every corner trying to sell me the next best lunch meat or the greatest potato salad you've ever tasted. Besides the fact that these claims were over the top and ridiculous, I was not shopping for these items and didn't want to hear all the selling points. I know some people could make a day cruising the aisles and trying everything at every corner. But to me, in the midst of my busy day, it was just annoying.

Mind you, I see the genius of this business plan. I'm sure more times than not, people are sold things they don't need. How many times does a person head in, hoping only to restock the paper towel supply, and leave with a cart full of items for delicious dinners and spectacular cleaning? That's the gimmick right, get the people's attention and then sell them things they don't need. And for these warehouse type stores, things you don't need come in bulk. While on this particular day, I wasn't really buying the scheme, I'm sure there are plenty of times where I'm just as guilty as the next person of falling into the trap and buying things I don't need!

There are so many ways these samples remind me of sin. How many times are we tempted by the smallest taste of something. We just want to try it. One little time won't hurt. Everyone else is doing it. It's not that bad. It'll only take me off the path for a second. There are millions of ways we justify our willingness to give into the temptations of these tiny samples of sin. They are such small things, what could they really hurt? But before you know it, you're paying for a cart full of things you did not mean to buy.

We get a taste of the samples, and guess what, it becomes harder for us to say no to the large quantity of samples we can take to our homes and have anytime we please. We are shown a glimpse, we want more. And before you know it we end up in over our head with bags of stuff that we never needed. And bags of stuff that serve no purpose in our world.

There was one reason I was able to deter the temptation to buy the other day at the store. My heart was set on one solid list of what I needed. Sure samples, and displays, and pleasant smells tried to steal my focus and lead me astray. But ultimately, I knew why I was there, and the glamour of delicious samples was not going to pull me off course. That's the truth about sin. It looks glamorous. It doesn't seem all that bad. And when we don't have our hearts set on the right things, it's so easy to want to buy.

Fix your eyes on God. Know what your morals are, what you stand for, and what you believe. Know what you're walking in the world for and do not be tempted by the samples that offer you a quick fix or instant happiness. When you know you're living for God, when you know He is the main thing on your list, it's easier to shop without being tempted to buy something you don't need!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.