Oh NO!

The Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all the work of your hand, in the fruit of your womb and in the fruit of your cattle and in the fruit of your ground. For the Lord will again take delight in prospering you, as he took delight in your fathers, 10 when you obey the voice of the Lord your God, to keep his commandments and his statutes that are written in this Book of the Law, when you turn to the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 
Dueteronomy 30:9-10

It is probably one of the simplest words in our vocabulary. From the time we are toddlers stealing toys and climbing on shelves we are taught the word NO. And maybe because in the beginning it is one of the only words we ever hear or maybe because we feel an obligation or a need to feel accepted for some reason along the way we start to avoid the word no.


In our minds we define no as the opposite of yes really. If we looked it up in the dictionary we would find that the word is defined with synonyms like denial, refusal, disbelief, and disagreement. It's no surprise then, we would stray from using such a negative word. How many times have you looked back and wished you said no to something? We agree to do things out of guilt or feelings of regret if we do not choose to say yes, a much more positive and friendly word. 


For so much of my life, I lived in that NO fearing state. I was not exactly confidant enough to say what I actually felt or wanted, so I just said yes because it felt like the "correct" thing to do. But what happens when you commit to doing something you do not really want to do? You end up wishing you had not the entire time. And the problem is, if you say yes enough to things you want to say no to, you end up becoming unhappy and start to loose sight of who you are as an individual. 


The world is full of pressures. We are constantly being pushed and pulled by the whims of the world. I think for me, I was lucky enough to be taught by my mother the fine art of saying NO. For a long time, I was searching for who I was and who I wanted to be. Saying yes was just me trying to find a world that accepted me and a means for me to feel approved by others. But, I was slowly reassured that my role is not to please everyone, but to please the One. My mom taught me that it is not a problem to say NO. Most people understand completely and would rather have loving honesty than fake commitment. But more than that, she showed me that my willingness to say no to one thing is also a declaration of my passionate commitment to something else. 


Saying no is not really a complete denial or refusal. Sure, by saying no you may be letting go of one idea, or adventure, or opportunity. But, so often that no is a result of a stronger yes to some other opportunity or moment in your lifetime.  Ultimately, we must consult our God in all the choices. He has a way of giving us so many in our day to day lives. And sometimes it seems like the answers are impossible to figure out. On our own, they can be. That is why I had so much trouble making them my whole life. I was not confidant in who I was or even who my God was for that matter. But now I know.  


As a girl who was nicknamed by my grandpa, "Dani I don't know", I'm slowly growing into a girl who does not necessarily always know but who is willing to seek a God who certainly does. The answers might not always be easy and they might take to time to discover, but when you can turn to God to reveal them to you I think there is a certain confidence that grows in your answers. 


It does not really matter what you say....yes, no, or maybe. It does not really matter why you say it or to who. It does not matter what you are answering or what that answer means. It only matters that, your answer is made confidently in Christ. And that you deliver it with LOVE. People can handle small disappointments or momentary denial and they recognize authenticity. 


Ultimately, our goals here should not be to please others or do what they want us to, but rather to follow God's call for each of us. Sometimes, as hard as it can be, that means saying no. Sometimes that means letting others down. Sometimes that means making a difficult choice. But, in the grander scheme of things, that means living the beauty of the story God has planned for you. 


So the next time you find yourself being asked a question, answer thoughtfully. Consider your answer. Who are you answering for...your friend, your spouse, your family, yourself, or your God? You can say yes a million times and do a million crazy things, but sometimes all God needs you to say is no. Don't be scared to say it. Don't be afraid to answer on His behalf. Don't be afraid to do and be who He wants.  


Your simple NO, might just be a resounding yes to whatever He has waiting for you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.