We the PEOPLE.

"It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me." Philippians 1:7

People. They change us. Some make us stronger. Some makes us free. Some bring out the good in us. Some bring out our worse. But regardless of who they are or how we know them, people change us.


On the eve of my 27th birthday, I cannot help but reminisce about all the people who I have encountered over the years. 27 years makes for a large amount of people. And I suppose it would be possible to recall only the people who had happy impacts on my life. I could simply remember those who made me smile or showed me love. But, as thankful as I am for those beautiful and special people, it turns out that one thing I have learned in all my many years of living is that regardless of how they change us, ALL people have an impact on our hearts. 


No matter who they are or how long our encounter is with them, we are changed by their presence in our lives. 


You know the grumpy waitress and that speeding car that cut you off on the freeway? They changed you. What about the rude customer at work or the snob who blew you off in high school? They change you. The kid that no one ever noticed on the playground and the man who begged for food outside the drugstore? They changed you. 


See our moments with these people are so fleeting that we underestimate the ways they impact us and maybe it is not until we slow down and think about it, but in every moment and every human encounter our hearts are being molded and transformed. And while our encounters may not always be for the better, I tend to believe that how we let them shape us can be. 


God intertwines us all perfectly. But are we ready for what we have to show each other? Maybe that car that cut you off is God saying slow down. Or the grumpy waitress is God saying love even those who seem unlovable. To be honest, I cannot tell you what God is asking you to see in all the people He carefully places on your path. But what I can say is He has something special and unique to show you in whatever encounter you have with them. 


It occurred to me the other day as the sun lowered in the sky and my mom told me of characters she had met in the hair salon, that each of us encounter different people in our day to day lives. The people I will come across in my world tomorrow are not the same individuals that will pass through your day. And there is something so amazing about that. God handpicked how we would all weave into each-other's lives. And that thought alone is enough for me to start paying attention to who He sends my way and how He plans to let them change me. 


See some people, we know without a doubt they change us, but some people change us without us even knowing. I think if we slowed down and payed a little more attention to people, we would start to realize that in every person God is sending us messages of hope, surrender, love, faith, trust, humility, and courage. 


So here's to the people in my life. Whether I know you by face or name, you have changed me. You have showed me who God is asking me to be and taught me to love. You have given me purpose and showed me passion. You have taught me, and loved me, and transformed me. God has worked through you. And while I may never be able to say it to everyone in person, I am thankful. As I embark on a new year in my life, I am forever changed and hopeful to learn from the people God has placed on my path.  


And I pray that in each precious moment, you allow God to change you by the people He has shared with you! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.