Slow and steady.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishablewreath, but we an imperishable. 26Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as notbeating the air; 27 but I [a]discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Everyone knows the story of the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race. My entire life I've always felt like the tortoise in this scenario. I was born two weeks late, and for the most part, everything in my life happens, let's just say, about two weeks later then it does for everyone else. I can't be pushed to do stuff just because it's the natural time everyone else does it. When I'm ready I know and I do it! And this is something I like and truly value about myself, because when I do reach the goal I'm aiming for, I know it's at exactly the right time for me!

But lately I feel like I'm living my life a little like the hare! Running, running, running through everything! Maybe it's because I'm afraid I'll miss out or I don't want someone to reach the finish line before me. Maybe it's because I see there's so many places to go and run to. I can't deny that the feeling you get from this type of running is exhilarating. But eventually, no matter how well you've trained or prepared, at some point you are going to hit that moment of burn out.

Any good athlete knows that in order to win the race you have to pace yourself. Sometimes that means that others might sprint ahead without you or leave you behind. However, you have to be content in knowing that whatever pace you are going is a pace that is perfect for you. A race has nothing to do with who runs the fastest at any point throughout the course. It has to do with who crosses the finish line. Those who sprint ahead might be in first place at the moment, but sooner or later they are going to realize they can't maintain the pace they are going. We can't compare ourselves to the sprinter who burns out halfway through the race. If we are in this for the long hall, we have to be willing to slow down, take our time, and move at a pace that works for us! Sometimes that means we have to let some things in our lives go. Sometimes that means we have to slow down and take some time to ourselves. Sometimes that means we are going to feel like we are missing out. But what's your goal?! To win the first mile or to win the whole thing?

Life like the hare might be exciting for a moment, but we can't live like that forever. Pace yourself, slow down, and take in the view around you. The tortoise might have been slow, but he crossed the finish line first. God wants us for the long hall. Prepare yourself for that race, find your pace, and continue pushing towards Him! You can't do everything, but you can do what God is calling you to do. Listen to those calls. God is not calling us to spend our whole lives sprinting. He is calling us to keep taking the next step. He is calling us to keep going even when we might feel like the finish line is miles and miles away. He is calling us to continue to move forward, closer to Him, growing in faith. He knows how you are going to finish the race, slow and steady. Keep going. You are on your way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.