Game Time

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
Roman 12:2


A lazy Saturday afternoon and I found a few minutes to sit on my bed and catch the end of the Clippers game. Caught up by a come from behind win in the first game of the playoffs, I was eager to watch the game! I cheered from the end of my bed as the Clippers quickly picked up momentum and continued to score basket after basket, eventually tying the game! But I found myself with a certain anxiety as player after player got fouled and seemed to find themselves shooting, what could be a game changing basket at the line.

It was an anxiety that brought me back to my sports career as a kid! My parents signed me up for all the sports little kids normally play, some I enjoyed and some I absolutely hated! As I grew up I realized I liked the sports where I got to work as a team, like soccer, but hated those sports that so often revolved around the individual, like baseball! There's something I just do not like about feeling like I'm in it alone! The last year I played softball, I struck out or walked every at bat, because in the moment I was alone in the batters box, I froze and could not swing the bat!

Free throws, at bats, moments in our lives so often find us with the whole game on our shoulders! For me, it'd be easier if I always had someone "in" it with me! If there was someone I could lean on or someone that could identify with the exact same thing I was going through! But as I've learned, life cannot always be a team sport! Sometimes we are going to have to go it alone! Sometimes we are going to have to stand at the free throw line all by ourselves, maybe with everything on the line. Sometimes, we have to decide what play we want to make, instead of focusing on what play the all-star or the lead scorer on our team would make!

So as you find yourselves in those moments, when it's just you, in it alone, you have to rely on your own instinct and your own heart, hoping that the advice from past players, coaches, and the time of practice you put in will end up with you making the right play! And as each of those things might impact your performance, ultimately, you have to trust, in who you are! But beyond that you have to trust in who He is.

Each of us might feel in it alone, but Christ is always in it with us! When we quiet ourselves a listen to His call, it seems that we know just the play to make! So trust in Him, and swing the bat, or shoot the ball, but always revolve the play around what He is calling. When you do, no matter what the coaches or teammates are saying, you'll make the play that'll be game changing!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.