"Ubuntu"

"An anthropologist proposed a game to African tribe kids. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told them that whoever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that as one could have had all the fruits for himself they said: UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?

UBUNTU in the Xhosa culture means: "I am because we are"

How many times are we running the race for ourselves? How often do we want what's best for ourselves, regardless of what that means for others? How often is it more important to us that we are comfortable and happy, than that we are creating unity and love? What kind of lessons can we take from the beautiful children in this story?

The other day I was talking with my four and five year olds about the community we have built in our classroom. I was saddened when I called roll that morning and heard a student applaud at the fact that another child was not yet there. At such a young age, even these kids were aware that this student was a little different from the rest and required more attention from the teachers. And while I'm sure their cheer came from a more innocent place than my mind jumped to, I was quick to remind the kids that all of us were to welcome each other in our classroom.

The dialogue that unfolded was a beautiful one. We discussed why it was important that we accepted all the kids in our classroom. And the kids shared different things they had learned from their friends. They began to discover what they could help the other students in the class with and what others could share with them. After awhile, I could tell the kids got it. They understood, that our goal as a class was to help each other along the way. We could share our gifts and learn together, and it did not matter who got the most attention from the teacher or answered the questions the most. It only mattered that all of us were learning. growing, and doing the best we could.

Community. That is what my kids and I discovered that day. And we discovered the moral of the story above. We were working together to learn, not just learning as individuals. And if one kid did not understand it or if only one did, that did not matter, because whatever the need was, the other students knew they would be working so that everyone got it. Individual achievements are something to be celebrated, but so is the beautiful result of a group effort in a common goal.

My class was just a small and concrete example of Ubuntu. God has reminded me of so many forms of unity working in my own life.

The evening after I read this amazing story of the African children working together to get the fruit, I found myself at a church event. I looked up, candle light glowing, and saw the faces filling the room. All were worshipping our God, each uniquely, as He was present in the monstrance. And as I looked up I saw unity.

I was struck in my place as the beats of music floated softly in my ears. It was hard to believe my eyes. As I looked around the room with hundreds of people in it, I was captivated by the faces of friends. Faces that only years, or months, or weeks ago were merely strangers, now held a place in my heart. God showed me love.

I have been on this beautiful journey to community. And furthermore, this beautiful journey to a faith community. And I did not realize it until that moment of worship that what community is, what I had found, what God had brought me to, and what I so longed for was a common love. We share a love for Him as we strive for Heaven. Glimpses of familiar eyes and flashes of recognizable smiles captured my heart as we adored our Lord. In each of these people, I saw love and knew love for them. I discovered that no matter where my faith or life takes me, a little piece of my heart will always desire the best for them.

We assume that the journey is just about us. We make decisions that are reflections of where God is calling us or how our faith is changing us. But can my faith, and my joy, really be complete if I am not concerned with the well being of the others on the journey beside me?

We cannot form the journey of those in our life, or mold them into who we want them to be, and that is good, but ultimately we should be hoping for the best for them, knowing that if they are suffering, a part of us too will be saddened. We say we are community. We seek out unity. But do we live those things?

Today, tomorrow, and everyday for the rest of your life you will be running the race. Will you stop to help others on the path? Will you seek the best for all and share the fruit? Or do you seek out the win for yourself?

My journey toward God would not be possible without the community He has brought me to. And I know people have slowed down, held my hand, and walked me on the road. I hope and pray that when I am given the opportunity, I too will grab the hands of the people beside me and walk with them toward the goal of Heaven. We may be given the opportunity to run ahead and build our faith, but we must also be willing to slow down and gather the others. Heaven, is something we can all walk towards together. "I am because we are." I'm a Christian because you all have shown Christ to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.