set FREE.

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1 

My alarm ringing on a Saturday morning was the last thing I wanted. And, as I washed my face, brushed my teeth, and poured the coffee, I could not think of many things I would like to be doing less than going on a hike. But, with the promise of a waterfall at the end and a willingness to share in the passions of the people I love, I laced my shoes and hopped out of the car. 


We made our way to the path and marched on, sweat pouring down our backs.  Slopes and hills awaited us. Dirt shuffled under my feet and I was wondering what was so fun about this activity. We kept putting one foot in front of another. It seemed kind of odd just walking. I wondered why we had to make the 40 minute drive, I mean you can walk anywhere right?


We finally met a curve in the path and stepped down among the trees. The shade was a welcomed favor, shielding us from the heat of the sun. We maneuvered under branches and over rocks. As we stepped across ponds and hopped from stone to stone, I was shocked that, being the klutz I am, I did not break an ankle. We kept moving forward on the path. The promise of the waterfall awaited. 


People passed us on their return, and encourage us along the path. "Waterfall is ten minutes away", "keep going you're almost there", "it's beautiful" they all promised. 


We walked the final stage, or crawled and climbed and scooted through the maze, and could see the waterfall ahead. A crowd of people surrounded it. We made our way to the water's edge and stepped our feet into the chilly water. After a sweaty hike, the cool on our skin was both shocking and amazing. Standing in the water we enjoyed the success of our hike and took it all in. There, just feet in front of us, was the pretty waterfall we were promised when we decided we would complete the hike. 


The water splashed from the top of the rocks to the water below. You could hear the rush but at the onset, as pretty as it was, the waterfall did not look too huge. We watched it splash as we moved a little closer. Drops of water hit our faces and cooled us down. Back to the water's edge we headed, and we could have put on our shoes and hiked our way back to the car, but we did not make it all this way to the waterfall to not experience it fully. 


We were not leaving the waterfall until we made our way into it. With the crowds just dipping their feet in and watching us, we tiptoed on pointy rocks back to the waterfall. The camera was ready to capture the moment and we were going in. The instant the water consumed us, my breath was taken from me. The pressure hit us and water cascaded down almost knocking us from our feet. 


Looking at the waterfall, you would not be able to tell it was so powerful and even as I describe it now, it does not do it justice. But the moments under the waterfall, were moments of complete surrender. 



The waterfall consumed us and with the water overwhelming us and screams and laughter flowing from our mouths, it did not matter where we were or who was watching. We left the waterfall unable to control our laughs and as we made our way back in only moments later, suddenly I saw the joy of hiking. The joy I felt under the waterfall was worth the sweat and struggle to make it there. 


I could have looked at pictures of the waterfall or had it described to me or even looked at it from the waters edge. But, it was not until I felt it, for myself, that I realized it's power. 


We read about God's love and power. We hear people describe how it's impacted them and their lives. We see people who are enjoying it's joy. We see people making the journey there. And all these things are encouraging, but until we make our way to the waterfall, until we make it there for ourselves, it is not the same. 


God is waiting for us. He wants us to make the steps to find Him. The path might be messy and sweaty and gross, and it might be rocky. But no one can make those steps for us. We are the ones that have to set the alarm and get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other. 


The waterfall is surrender. We might know that God loves us and we might know His plans for us are brilliant, but if we want to know His greatness firsthand in our lives we have to surrender. We have to step into the water and let it mess up our hair, and soak our clothes, and let the crowds look on at our crazy joy. 


Standing under that waterfall was one of the most freeing things I have ever done. I let everything go. I was free. Sometimes it is scary to approach that moment of freedom. But, the truth is the rush of a waterfall only freed me for a moment, the glory of God, the surrender to HIM, is a freedom that is forever. 


Surrender. Step into the falls. Let His love pour all around you. Make the step. Freedom awaits at the end of some of the rockiest paths when we just give it all to Him. God's love is freedom. Surrender. Be free! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.