CELEBRATION!

"And bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’ And they began to celebrate."

Luke 15: 23-24 


Birthdays. This week arrives every year in August where I have a million birthdays to celebrate. Somewhere in the midst of chocolate cake and wrapping paper, I have the chance to celebrate some pretty important people in my life. It just so happens that two of my brothers have back to back birthdays! And with birthdays always being kind of a big deal in my house I brace myself for the week where the birthday celebrations are double. 


How do you prepare for a birthday? Little kids pick out party themes. Teenagers chose fancy presents. And adults gather for dinners or nights out on the town. Then there are presents to be wrapped, decorations to hang, and cake to be cut. But regardless of what the party entails, the fact of the matter is, everyone is there because they love one person. 


I love birthdays because I love reminding people of how special they are to me. I love celebrating all that they are and all that they are yet to be. And birthdays are just a small opportunity to let these beautiful people know the difference they make in my life every day. So as birthdays approach, I am anxious to prepare the most perfect way to celebrate. 


But this week as I prepare to welcome the 20th and 23rd years of my little brothers, and as I wish friends and family near and far a special day, I cannot help but recognize the One who has given us all this cause for celebration. I cannot help but praise the maker of all the reasons I have to celebrate. 


We claim to be Christians and to follow Christ. We show up at Mass on Sundays and fill the pew. We attend retreats. But do we really live our lives in celebration of the saving grace of God? It is so easy to check the boxes, but are we celebrating? 


As I sat in Mass tonight, I looked around at parishioners who probably all know how to have a good time at a birthday celebration! Yet, there in Mass, they acted like they had no interest in celebrating anything. Wake up people, you are alive. God created you! He showed you His love and mercy. And we are here to celebrate and praise Him, what is stopping you? 


Why are we so anxious to celebrate each other, but so hesitant, or boring, or lazy to participate in the greatest prayer and celebration of all...Heaven crashing into earth! How would your experience on Sunday, or your prayer life, or your ministry change if you lived more like you had something to celebrate? How would your day to day routine change? 


I would dare to say things would look a little different. We get so caught up being cookie cutter Christians that we loose sight of the point of everything. Christ has given us every reason to be full of joy and laughter and love. We are living like we wish we had not even shown up to the party. Being a follower of Christ means living in His good news. When people look at you do they see the celebration? Do you even know you were invited to the party? 


Well I am here to tell you, you have a reason to celebrate. The God of the universe has chosen you to be a part of His beautiful plan...I would say it is about time we start celebrating that! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.