Walk on Water.

"Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus." Matthew 14:28-29 


When the "Lizard Wizard" asked for volunteers, a quiet and sweet boy raised his hand. As the teacher picked him, he hesitantly made his way to the dare chair and took his seat. Only moments later he would be asked if he wanted to hold an ALLIGATOR with bare hands or cushioned in a towel. With boos from the audience of kids, he answered with the towel, please. We counted as he held the alligator for twenty seconds.  His face made it seem like an eternity. I am almost certain he held his breath the whole time. 


Next, the girl in the chair next to him bravely held the alligator, bare hands, for her twenty seconds, without even a flinch. Suddenly, the boy saw her bravery and was inspired. With a newfound motivation he informed the wizard that he too would like to try holding this alligator with his bare hands. We counted up to twenty as the boy's face grew to show satisfaction. He could not believe he was doing it, but there he was holding the alligator bravely, bare hands and all. 


Over the years, time has proven to me that I can be much like that boy. It is like a little kids who takes their bike out for the first time. Training wheels keep your balance. But sooner or later, dad is going to make you give it a go, leaving the training wheels behind. To be honest, I do not remember the steps leading up to me learning to ride a bike. I cannot remember major falls or scraped knees. Sure, as clumsy as I am, it can be pretty certain I did not get it exactly right the first time. But, I do not remember any of that. I simply remember how free it felt to have the wind hit my face as I rode my bike down the hill, training wheel free.


So often, in life I want to hang on to the training wheels. Last week, I found myself so caught up in praise, that suddenly as it ended, I realized, my goodness, I had taken off the training wheels. See, so much of me wants to keep it contained. I will push the boundaries and express myself to some extent, but my freedom to move and lift my hands and stand, or sit, or dance only goes so far. But this particular night I realized I did not care who was watching or what I looked like, and I was holding nothing I had to offer, back. In so many ways this freedom to truly surrender showed a growth in my own heart and in my faith. 


This prayer I prayed outloud over and over again truly spoke to my heart and to where I was in my relationship with Christ. My chest pounded as I cried out over and over again, "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me". 


In that moment of training wheel free, bare hand worship, God was completely responding to my prayer. I think so many times we trust just enough. We trust when it is safe to. We worship to the extent that we are comfortable or do not look too crazy. But I was pleading with God call me deeper. And He did. 


It was not until later that I realized that moment of surrender had captivated the very person who had led us in worship that night. I was genuinely shocked. Me? I thought to myself, since when do I inspire people? But, God heard my prayer and called me deeper. Deep enough that in simply seeing me fall into His love, others were led to do so as well! It was an honor that God would use me in such a way, but beyond that it was a gift. A gift of trust and surrender. 


I think we underestimate the impact we have on one another. The simplest action could be what changes the heart of another. And I also think we underestimate the power of God, if you pray to Him, expect Him to respond. When you share with God all that you are, all that you hope, and all that you desire, He will take it. He will take all that you are, where you are, as soon as you give it to Him. And while that means you may have to take off the training wheels, it is worth it because He is taking you on a journey with Him. It is a journey to bring others closer to Him and His love. 


That little boy at the lizard show could have held the alligator in the towel and been done. But between the cheers of the audience, the display of bravery by the little girl, and the tiniest push from the lizard wizard, he willingly went all the way in and held the alligator in his hands. No one else's lives may have been changed any in that moment, but I believe his was and so was mine! He took off the training wheels for the slightest second and got out of the boat trusting he could do what he thought was impossible. Seeing his courage, reminded me to find my own. 


Be brave. Trust. Surrender. Hold the alligator in your bare hands. And watch how your life suddenly starts to impact the lives of others.


God is God. If He says you can walk on the water...it is true! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.