"The Help"

A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Proverbs 17:17

I finally found a free night to sit down on the couch, in comfy clothes, and watch the movie, The Help. I loved the movie. I loved the harsh reality of it, the compassion, and the true value of a human life it expressed. My heart broke, and was struck by honest love at the same time, as I watched the help raise children whose parents couldn't give them the time of day. That honest love, though, gave those children more than they could have gotten from their parents, who lived by strict rules and the need for things to be prim and proper. They say it takes a village to raise a child. What a gift these children had when they got to know the kindness of the help.

So as I watched, I began to see that each of us is truly being raised by a village. No one parent, no one teacher, no one friend, or hero can do enough to raise us alone. And while most of us were lucky enough to have hands on parents, each of us are in some ways being raised by the help. God, has a plan for who we are to be. These plans cannot be accomplished without the help of friendships. I firmly believe that He sends to us for moments, or months, or years, friends to walk with us and to shower us in His love.

Throughout my life I've been blessed by friendships like these, and it's quite evident that God's love was shown to me in each of these friendships. It overwhelms me when I start to think that God loves me enough to realize that I need these people in my life. And that He goes beyond Himself to express this love for me!

So how is it that these friends show me Christ's love?

They love me through anything! Sometimes when people get too close they start to see parts of me and things about myself I don't like. And instinctual I want to tell them to run, to get away as fast as they can. But still, they stay around. And beyond that they continue to love me. Is that not what God does too? Loves us despite our worst qualities and biggest secrets?

My true friends are honest. They tell me what they think and what they feel. They are open and tell me when I'm doing things, they and I both know I shouldn't be. They remind me of my purpose and my values. Like God, through the scriptures reminds us of truth, my friends remind me of truth too. And they hold me accountable to that truth.

They push me! I think that's what God sends me through friendships the most. Sure it's easy to laugh, and go shopping, or hang out at the beach with a bunch of your friends. But, my best friends call me to be better, live bigger, and truly become who God too wants me to be. It's not a harsh nudge, but their gentle pushes that allow me to believe I can do these things and through them I know God too is gently nudging me!

Ultimately, God gives us the help, through friendships, to draw us closer to His love. You'll know He is in these friendships when they build you up and truly draw you closer to heaven. This help may be with you for just a short period, a phase of your life, or by your side forever. But the truth is, the time they are with you doesn't really matter. Because once Christ has touched your heart through these friends, you'll never be the same. Embrace everything that comes to you through this help, and in turn, be the type of friend who brings people closer to Heaven. Allow your friendship to be a beacon of God's love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.