every LAST detail.

His mother said to the servers, “Do whatever he tells you." John 2:5

A beautiful Saturday morning, a simple moment in the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and before my eyes, God was moving. Rolling out of bed, my mind barely awake, we made it to Mass and listened tentatively to the readings on turning to God for mercy and taking example from His strength in the face of temptation and trial. We walked our way to the lines for confession and realized, perhaps, God was truly speaking to us in those readings.

For the first time in a while, I truly opened my heart up to the sacrament. I confessed in detail the things I've struggled with and received some beautiful words of wisdom in return. And as I was asked to reflect on my favorite Bible story, I almost laughed, thinking there would be no connection with my own life. How do I fit into the wedding at Cana?

I made my way to the pew nevertheless, and knelt down to pray and reflect. My elbows hit the wood in front of me and I bowed my head down. There, engraved on the pew, right where I looked down was a heart. I knew God was speaking. I began to recall my favorite story in the Bible. I'd been asked this question before, "What is your favorite Bible story?". And my answer has always been the same. For some reason, the Wedding at Cana, has always been that story for me. On the surface, I guess it makes sense, I like weddings and the fact that Jesus can turn water into wine, is beyond amazing. But as I dug deeper into the story, I realized God had more to tell me than just surface level.

This story, of Cana, was the very first miracle of Jesus. Wow, I guess I never really realized the trust, in His ability, that that required. He wasn't the Jesus we know of today who performed miracles throughout His ministry, His work was just beginning. I thought about that trust and resolved to trust God to perform miracles in my own life just the same. I believe He works them everyday, sometimes however, we don't follow His lead or get distracted by other things and refuse to see His good works. As hard as it is, I pray that I can slow down and see His greatness and love in every detail of my life. Even as I continued on my day, I was awestruck by the simple miracle of this very truth, the Bible story I reflected on Saturday, was without my knowing, to be the Gospel story for Mass on Sunday. What are the chances? I do not believe it was an accident. Trust me y'all, He plans every last detail and if we slow down and look, the details are miracles moving every day.

I looked further into the story for messages from God. The story, making something so simple, water, into something so luxurious, wine. I realized God works too the same way in each of us. When we open up our hearts and allow Him to change us into whatever He has planned, the result is us changing from ordinary into the extraordinary people He has designed us to become.

Little messages filled the story, and I knew God was sharing them with me! He saved the good wine for last, even though it was custom to serve it first. I guess sometimes, we have to wait for the good wine. Even though, it seems like we want what's very best now, God knows exactly when the good wine is meant to be in our lives. Be patient, and believe that God has good wine waiting for you too, in His time.

The story, had endless things to tell me when I really dove in all the way. And I think that's the point, diving in all the way. Sure, I could have taken the surface of the story and thought it was a cool message, but I went deeper and discovered so much more. The message God has for you, in that story or in your favorite Bible story may be completely different then the ones He shared with me. Open your heart and discover what He has to say, the truth is, He has so much to tell all of us, to show us, and to create within us and our hearts, but until we trust as Mary did when she said "Do as He says" and become willing to actually follow through, we are keeping ourselves from discovering that God is working wedding at Cana style miracles in every second of every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.