mind OVER matter

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." -Shawshank Redemption


I've been laying in bed for four days. On Thursday I had a minor surgery that has left me sore and weak and resting until I recover. It's pretty crazy how many times you can play solitaire in a day. I've flipped through multiple magazines, watched movies, and slept a lot. But I have to say, in these circumstances, I'm a horrible patient. I'm the person, who while my body is saying stay in bed and rest, my mind is saying get up and do something.

Unfortunately, I've learned that the body does have some say in these matters. And while my body is not willing, my soul is getting restless. And my thoughts keep turning to the phrase mind over matter.

We all live in bodies that physically limit us in some way. We can't exist under water forever or fly to the sun or lift something that is beyond our ability. And so we know those limits that our bodies put on us. But I think so many times, we sell our dreams short because something doesn't seem possible. It's not because it's actually physically impossible but more the fact that our minds have dubbed it as such.

Take for instance a marathon. I would say in my opinion, that's not possible for me. But that literally has nothing to do with my physical abilities to run and train and complete a marathon. Rather, if has to do with my lack of will. I don't have in my soul the desire to do such. So my soul, doesn't push my body. And thus, the result is a marathon seeming beyond reach for me.

I forced myself to get out of bed today and get a few small things done. My body was telling me, this is going to be difficult, but my mind was determined and thus I pushed my body and did as I wished.

There's something to be said about that power of desire and of the soul over the power of the physical evidence. So many times we base our opinions on past experiences. We think that if something didn't occur in the past, then there is no way it could occur now. When there is no proof that something can be done, why should we believe that we have the power to do it? And if it seems physical impossible, why should we hold out hope?

Well, faith is why I do. Faith is what allows my heart to believe in what science, or physicality or experience says is not true. Faith is what allows me to trust in things that at first glance seem impossible. And to be honest faith is what allows me to push one step further when I'm on the verge of giving up.

Sure, I could have laid in bed all weekend and then all week until I felt 100% again, but my heart won't settle for that. And so slowly but surely, I push myself a little bit beyond what's comfortable for my body so I can do something that my heart longs to do. Today I sat up for an hour. Tomorrow maybe I'll push myself to sit up for two. It's not that my body can't, it's just that it is weak and without the will to get up and move, I probably wouldn't. My mind, has power to change my matter.

Each of us knows physical limits, but I'm willing to bet each of us knows a dream or two as well. The difference between being, and living, I believe, is striving beyond what's merely possible. God has the power to do anything, and if you believe in Him, I'd say you should believe in His ability to do anything in you.

Knowing God means living by faith. Go out on the limb and trust in something that may not seem within your limitations. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when the desires in your soul come alive. You might just start living impossible dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.