Like FATHER...

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 3:18

They always say, "Like father, like son" or "like mother, like daughter". And, for the most part over time we see these patterns play out in our lives. You inevitably grow up to say the same things your mother did or slowly pick up the habits of your father. And sometimes, these very similarities are pointed out. But I guess, in the midst of a busy world, we tend not to really dwell on them for too long.

Today, for some odd reason, these similarities were popping our everywhere as I watched a congregation make their way up to communion during mass. There had to be something God was trying to show me as I sang along in worship and watched in awe as these parent/child duos were so ridiculously alike.

It's not like I was not aware that parents usually pass on genes to their kids, and with it physical features and personality traits. But the fact that I could easily identify a parent and child pairing so obviously was kind of crazy. When I started really watching, each child so evidently reflected their parent.

Child after child and parent after parent, the striking resemblance declared we are a part of one another. I think there's nothing more beautiful than when a child is born, and between the button nose and blue eyes there is some piece of each parent among that baby face. What a gift that we can experience the combination of two human beings in one tiny living and breathing miracle. A baby doesn't say or do anything, it just sits there. Yet, one close look and you know, he belongs to them. Or she is their child.

And as I watched the people, row by row, I saw the same thing. An obvious connection between child and parent. It was a physical representation of the passing on of life. Hair that was the same, a matching smile, or the way they walked all said this is the child of that parent. And I realized, I too am a reflection of both my parents.

But beyond that, beyond being the daughter of Kathy and Steve, I am a daughter of God. And as I stopped for a second and thought about that, I was almost disappointed in myself. My eyes, nose, smile, and hair might all connect me to my parents, but does the way I act radiate the daughter of God I am?

My physical features are set in stone. People will recognize me as my parent's daughter whether I want them to or not based solely on how I look. But will people recognize me as the daughter of God based strictly on how I act? I was sad because, to be honest, I wasn't sure.

The truth is, I try to love with all my heart, but selfishness takes over. The truth is, I try to extend the hope of Christ to everyone, but I let being scared get in the way. The truth is sometimes I think my way is the only way and I refuse to listen to the voice of God. Sometimes I'm grumpy or rude or difficult. And sometimes, I'm truly not acting like a daughter of God. And if I'm not acting like a daughter of God, how will anyone know that I am?

It's not a matter of bragging, but a child so evidently is meant to be a reflection of their parent. And I know who my Father is, so I'll make every last effort to shape my life so people can see, without me even saying, that I belong to Him. It's not always going to be easy to make these decisions, but like a parent raises their children to be, well mini versions of themselves really, God is raising us to be mini versions of Him. And as hard as it might be, we are His way of reaching out to the world and carrying on the family legacy.

You are a child of God. Don't let fear or pride or selfishness stop you from fully reflecting that. There's nothing more beautiful than a child who so evidently reflects the love of their parent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.