Where flesh may fail...

More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith...
Philippians 3:8-9

I assume the best of people. My first instinct is that all people are good. I believe their intentions are good and that they are truthful and kind. I trust that they will be for me the kind of person I hope and pray that I am to them. In some ways this is a gift, to be so willing to trust people. But the truth is, everyone is human and people mess up. Sometimes their intentions are selfish. Or their ways are shady. Alternative motives take over and I inevitably end up feeling disappointed.

We hear time and time again, turn the other cheek. But trust me, when you've been slapped in the face, that's definitely not your first instinct. Try being lied to, or talked about, or manipulated. That's not something you think, "Wow, I want to experience that again." And yet, I'm sure you have intentionally or unintentionally done those very things to someone else.

Wouldn't it be easier if we were all just purely good people? From the time we are five, we hear the golden rule. Treat others as you'd want to be treated. But do we really act this way? We wouldn't be hurt by the things people do, and don't do, if we did. And as I crawl into my hole of self-pity and embarrassment, I start to think about why God keeps revealing to me this sad truth, over and over again.

But I know. I know why He is teaching me this recurring lesson. God has blessed my life with good people, but even good people mess up. And in those tiny moments, when I'm left hurting, God tells me even in the best this world has to offer you, I offer you so much more. Everything I encounter here on earth; every delicious taste, amazing sunset, or beautiful relationship, it's just a glimpse. It's not wholly perfect. It can't completely satisfy me. And my heart won't rest in those things. The second I find myself settling for merely the good of this world, God stops me and says wait, you desire more. And while these tiny moments feel like failures. My heart knows they are victories. Once again God has won me.

People aren't perfect, they haven't been since Adam and Eve and they won't ever be! I'll admit it clearly, I'm far from perfect. But there's a distinct message from God in that truth. He calls us to Himself, His perfect love, despite our imperfections. And as He embraces us for who we are, we are called to embrace others despite the way they treat us in return.

Love is a choice. It's not a feeling or an emotion, it's a decision to wake up in the morning and do your best to serve the other. Expect good from people, but expect more from God. People make mistakes, God does not. People will hurt you. They will mess up and do the wrong thing. God, however, does not. He plays every card perfectly and loves purely. We could easily close ourselves off from the world, refuse to let people into our hearts and lives. But what would be the point of living then? God places His people into our hands. Do not give up on them. Instead, in every way you can, live to love the way God has and always will love you; completely, fully, and recklessly despite the fact that most days you don't give Him that same love in return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.