Let go.

6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7

What does it mean to let go?! This question has been coming to me over and over again this week! I've seen the saying "Let Go and Let God" so many times before, but this week it has shown up randomly in my life on more then one occasion. So really what does it mean to let go? When I think of this phrase a couple images come to mind but the one that seems to capture it at its most literal meaning plays out in the art of jumping. Whether it be jumping off a cliff into the ocean, bunging jumping off a bridge or skydiving out of a plane, there comes a point where a person must physically let go and allow themselves to embrace the falling and whatever else comes below. This is something we must do in life too! One would like to have a perfect plan and achieve their goals in the right order by the right time according to their idea of what would be the most convenient for them. Knowing God, however, we know that things are not always meant to go the way we've planned. So in turn we struggle with this concept of letting go and letting God! It's not that we don't know we have a God that has planned great things for us but rather the fear of the unknown, of what lies ahead after we let go, of what we will be landing on that frightens us most. Once we let go things are out of our control and that scares us. But it isnt until we let go that we can fully understand the greatness and the fullness of His every wish for us! Letting go in jumping is usually a one time thing, you do it, you fall air rushing against your face, and you land in or on whatever is below. For us in our lives, however, it isn't a one time jump that ends with our feet landing flat on the ground. We have to continually jump and fall and trust that whatever it is God wants us to embrace and experience is worth the initial fear of standing on the edge and letting go! This past year I've done a lot of letting go and I can honestly say that although at times I have been scared or frightened not one time did God ever disappoint me, let me down, or lead me to ground that I couldn't stand firmly on. And I can also say that the view after I made the jump has been much more exciting than anything I could have seen standing on the edge afraid to let go! The thing is, I won't ever be done making the jumps in my life. There will always be more of me that I need to let go of and give to God. Sometimes we have to make little jumps and let go of our want to control minor matters in our lives. Other times trusting and giving something over to God feels like we are on the edge at the top of a skyscraper and the idea of letting go has us standing still in pure resistance. But make the jump, over and over again. Let go. God wants to take you great places. Surrender your worries, your fears, your hopes to Him and trust me, the fall will be exhilarating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.