What is love?

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 By this the love of God was manifested [b]in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us.
1 John 4:7-12

From the day we are old enough to put on dresses and play house a girl dreams of her wedding day! I think it's part of the fantasy that one day you will find the man that will love you through thick and thin, protect you, stand up for you and keep you smiling even when life gets difficult. Its an odd thing, so much of my life I have spent longing for this love but so few times have I actually seen it! I see people who act like they are in love, and a part of me envies it because it's all I really want, all any girl wants deep down inside! And on the surface it's good and looks pretty but I soon come to realize that this love, or what people call love, is missing something. It's missing the most important thing when it comes to love, a longing for God and a determination to follow His will through anything. What is love if it doesn't first know the love of God? Yesterday for the first time in my adult life I witnessed the wedding of two people who evidently love each other but more importantly who evidently love God. I could not have witnessed a more beautiful thing. And I realized that that kind of love is the love I want for myself. I could settle for a relationship focused on a boy and not on God, but that's not what I want. The only relationship truly worth having is one that places God at the center of it. Recently I've been spending so much of my time looking for this love. I'm getting to the age where people start to wonder if I'm ever going to settle down and so I put pressure on myself to find love and feel like if I don't find it right now, I'm never going to find it. But that's the strangest thing about it, I've been so busy searching for the perfect love with a man that in so many ways I've failed to see the perfect love I already have in my life. God has given me so many amazing people to show me His love and while a small part of me will always long for my prince charming I'm eager to start showing the people in my life the love that a gracious God continuously shows me! Authentic love can be found anywhere. Embrace it. And hold out hope that God will place the perfect people in your life to show you His love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings...

Fresh Coat.

HOME is where your HEART is.